Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fun in the Sun is Done!

All good things must come to an end, and I guess, for us, this is the time.  We're headed home.

We spent the past week at Pahrump, NV, just catching up on some small chores, and generally relaxing and enjoying the incredibly great weather we were having.  We did take a trip into Las Vegas and did a bit of shopping.  We made a couple of stops on the way home to take some pictures of a couple of desert plants.

Joshua Tree
One is the Joshua tree.  On the end of each branch is a cluster of blossoms which transforms a rather plain looking plant into something quite spectacular.  I remember my first trip down back in 1984 when I first saw a joshua tree.  Not knowing what it was, I was quite intrigued by the "cactus tree".
Yucca Plant

Another plant that was blooming is the yucca plant.  There is nothing attractive about this plant (I don't think) but their blossoms are amazing.  They appear in a large cluster coming up from the centre of the plant.

I find the dessert flowers amazing - out in the dry, arid land, a plant will bloom - usually with fairly large, showy flowers.  I don't know if it's the blossoms that I find amazing, or is it the blossoms in an often stark environment.

While the winter has been most enjoyable, and has passed far too quickly, it is time to be done.  We left Pahrump Friday noon and spent the night in Mesquite.  We are staying in Wally's campground in Brigham City, UT and hope to be home Tuesday or Wednesday.  Today we went through several small snow squalls and there was lake effect snow near Salt Lake City.  While we were fortunate enough that they were over when we went through, the road was wet - enough to make a mess of the vehicles.  Hopefully, that will be as bad as the roads get.  We have planned this trip to be something less of a marathon.

This will be my last post for this year.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to follow us through the winter.  Until next fall - have a great summer (yes, I know it will come)!!!!


It didn't take long to see some snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment